Ideal for Christmas this waxed cotton food roll increases freshness and reduces waste. Peter Morrell says it’s a wrap
Do your bit for the planet and ditch cling film from your life, take a look at this eco-friendly beeswax wrap, WaxWrap, now launched in UK and including in a new handy roll format
Roll out the wrap and play an active part in the war on plastic consumption by switching to new WaxWrap – a sustainable re-useable beeswax wrap designed to keep food super fresh, without resorting to the dreaded cling film that pollutes the waterways of the world and poisons our wild and marine life.* Performs as well if not better** than cling film and in comparison to most waxed wrap products, comes in a handy bag, pre-cut sheets and on-a-roll format, creating a convenient and viable alternative to disposable cling film.
WaxWrap contains organic certified ingredients and the production process behind these wonder wraps meets rigorous environmental and social standards, making them a safe and responsible choice for the home. In addition, the full range of products is approved by The Vegetarian Society. In contrast to cling film, WaxWrap is made from just four natural materials: organic cotton, organic Jojoba oil, pine resin and beeswax, allowing food to breathe the way nature intended.
I’ve been using this innovative way of saving the planet, and it really does work. This is not clingfilm but a far more robust material that also physically protects food in the fridge or freezer. Rub it between your hands before using to make it more pliable. Then wrap your food in WaxWrap, it sticks like clingfilm, so it is all sealed up. When you’ve finished, wash it in cold water with a little soap, and leave to dry. You can do this about 200 times, imagine all that plastic you have NOT consigned to landfill, and how much turkey you can store. If you believe that being eco-friendly means ‘every little helps’, then this is the product for you.
In addition, unlike single use plastic, WaxWrap is:
- Incredibly malleable
- Thick and rigid enough to take form around the most unusual shapes whilst still creating a secure seal
- Won’t leach toxins into food and drink
- Totally re-useable and suitable for the safe storage of a wide range of foods
- Good for your housekeeping budget, saving you money in the long-term
- Safer and won’t pollute the oceans, kill marine animals and birds or enter the food chain
- Easy to use (no more fiddling with flimsy clingfilm) – and easy on the eye thanks to the selection of bright designs
- A positive step towards a Zero-Waste lifestyle
Using a roll? Simply cut the wrap to the desired size and shape, then use it to top bowls and plates of leftovers, as well as wrap odd-shaped items.
WaxWrap bags are the ideal partner for packed lunches and picnics, as well as storing salad leaves, fresh herbs and vegetables, whilst the pre-cut sheets remain a firm favourite for super speedy food storage.
Once used, WaxWrap can be washed using cold water and washing up liquid, then patted dry with a clean towel. They can be washed over and over and if used correctly should last for around a year (or approx. 200 times). What’s more, when the wrap comes to the end of its long and happy life, it’s completely compostable so, can even be used as an eco-firelighter.
WaxWrap is available in a range of five products:
- Waxed Cotton Food Rolls in a choice of three sizes:
- Small: 20x120cm RRP £12
- Medium: 30x150cm RRP £16
- Large: 40x200cm RRP £20
- Waxed Cotton Food Bags in a set of three, RRP £22.50 (Small 21x31cm,
Medium 25x31cm, Large 32x31cm)
- Waxed Cotton Food Wraps in a set of three, RRP £16 (Small 20x20cm, Medium 30x30cm, Large 40x40cm)
The Problem with Plastic Facts
- 1.2 billion metres of the stuff, roughly 740,000 miles of cling film is used by every home in the UK every single year! That’s enough stretchy, slow-to-break-down cling film to wrap its way around the entire circumference of the earth 30 times over!
- Plastic wrap contributes to the larger plastic pollution crisis, it’s difficult to recycle, and it’s made from potentially harmful chemicals, especially as they break down in the environment
- For decades, holistic health gurus have warned of the toxic impact of plastic. They have been dismissed as quacks – but now it seems their paranoia might have been justified. New evidence suggests that heat makes chemicals in plastic storage boxes and bottles leach into food and drink: two major reports last year linked 175 compounds to health problems connected to cancers, fertility and foetal development. Even Cancer Research UK, who has previously been sceptical, is now warning that cling film should not be allowed to touch the food it is covering during microwaving
- Chemicals derived from fossil fuel production are used to make more than 99% of plastics
Help save the planet and save yourself some money too, isn’t it time you made the switch?
WaxWrap can currently be purchased online at www.waxwrap.uk or via Planet Organic and Whole Foods Market.