Shake up the festive merriment this Christmas and get ready to welcome an exciting new tipple to enjoy over the holiday period
Step aside traditional wine brands crafted from grapes, there’s an exciting new player on the block with a fabulous array of award-winning English wines made purely and simply from British-grown blueberries.
Blue Aurora is made exclusively in the UK, using blueberries carefully grown at the family-run Lutton Farm in Northamptonshire – all handpicked by a team of skilled pickers.
There are three sumptuous uber fruity wines to tempt your taste buds:
A medium dry, medium bodied blueberry wine with a crisp, fresh and deliciously fruity zing. Best chilled for 30 minutes before opening. Awarded Bronze at the Northamptonshire Food & Drinks Awards 2020 /21 – Artisan local drink. Gluten free and suitable for vegans. 75cl. Alc 11% vol. £11.95. Blue Aurora’s lightest blueberry wine and perfect for taking the edge off heavy Christmas food with its bright acidity and lovely fruit flavours.
- Nose: hedgerow mulberry & blackberry with a delicate hint of violet and rosemary.
- Palate: fresh, clean and bright. The palate is full of dark berries with the crisp acidity balancing the slight residual sweetness. Subtle herbal aftertaste.
- Finish: long, lingering, flavourful finish with a small kick of tannins.
Some suggested food pairings:
- Small plates: serrano ham, olives, stuffed cherry peppers, sundried tomatoes.
- Starter: ham hock terrine, asparagus wrapped in prosciutto or cheese stuffed Portobello mushrooms.
- Post-Christmas Picky Tea: Graze on all the best tasty morsels left over from the big day including plenty of flavoursome cheese!
As the name suggests an exquisite more intense, oak infused, beautifully rich and full bodied medium dry blueberry wine. Best served at room temperature, open the bottle 30 minutes before tasting to allow the wine to breathe. Awarded Bronze at its debut at the IWSC (International Wine & Spirit Competition) 2021. Awarded Bronze at the Northamptonshire Food & Drinks Awards 2020/ 21 – Artisan local drink. Gluten free and suitable for vegans. 75cl. Alc 11% vol. £11.95.
- Nose: ripe cherry and plum with a subtle hint of vanilla and thyme.
- Palate: full bodied, ripe rich berries on a bed of vanilla notes and a slight warming spice.
- Finish: Long smooth finish, with a healthy kick of tannin.
Some suggested food pairings:
- Small plates: chorizo, mature cheddar, salted pretzels, honey & mustard sausages.
- Starter: caramelised onion & goats cheese tart, chicken liver parfait or baked camembert.
- Christmas main: perfectly pink Beef Wellington, traditional turkey or a flavoursome nut roast.
A beautifully sweet and intensely fruity blueberry wine that delivers a sublime velvety smooth sensation on the tongue. Chill for an hour before serving. Awarded Silver at its debut at the IWSC (International Wine & Spirit Competition) 2021. Awarded Gold at the Northamptonshire Food & Drinks Awards 2020 / 2021 – Artisan local drink. Gluten free and suitable for vegans. 37.5cl. Alc 10.5% vol. £17.95. Enjoy as an aperitif with sparkling wine or as the perfect alternative to a traditional Port or Sherry.
- Nose: dark berries and red fruits with a delicate hint of candied violet and rose petal.
- Palate: velvety smooth and devilishly pure, ripe berry notes reminiscent of kirsch or blueberry jam.
- Finish: the refreshing acidity lifts the sweet finish.
Some suggested food pairings:
- Small plates: Christmas canapes such as brie topped with cranberry; stilton & walnut; smoked salmon and beetroot and goat’s cheese blinis.
- Dessert: warm chocolate brownie with a raspberry compote or sticky toffee pudding!!
- Post festive dinner: works wonderfully with all manner of after-dinner treats such as a decadent cheeseboard or a generous helping of Christmas pudding.
Seasonal Blueberry Cocktail anyone?
‘Tis the season to celebrate so, this year why not add a dash of Blueberry pizzazz to your repertoire of cocktails?
- Blue Aurora English Blueberry Ice Wine
- Champagne or sparkling wine of your choice
- Fresh English Blueberries
1. Pour a generous glug of Blueberry Ice Wine into the bottom of your Champagne flute, then fill to the top with your favourite sparkling wine.
2. Garnish with two or three fresh English blueberries
Blueberry & Basil Mojito
- 20ml Blue Aurora English Blueberry Ice wine
- 60 ml White rum
- Juice of a lime
- 1 tsp granulated or brown sugar
- Basil leaves
- Mint leaves
- Soda water
- Blueberries to serve
1. Muddle the lime juice, sugar and several basil & mint leaves together in a jug, then place the mixture into a tall glass over ice.
2. Pour over the rum and the Blue Aurora Blueberry Ice wine and top up with soda water. Add in the rest of the basil & mint leaves, a generous handful of blueberries and give it all a bloomin’ good mix!
Magical Mulled Midnight
For four people, you will need:
- 1 bottle Blue Aurora English Blueberry Midnight wine
- 250 ml orange juice
- 2 oranges sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 2-star anise
- 75g sugar
- Slug of Blue Aurora Ice (optional but very much recommended)
1 Slice your orange and stud the skin with the cloves
2 Add the orange and all other ingredients to a pan. Drench everything with your bottle of Midnight and bring to a gentle simmer (don’t boil or you will lose all that lovely warming alcohol)
3 Simmer for 20 minutes, making sure all the sugar has dissolved
4 Serve your magical Mulled Midnight hot in glasses or mugs and enjoy!
A Berry-Delicious Christmas gift
Share the love this Christmas and introduce friends and family to the wonderful world of blueberry wine by gifting a Blue Aurora mixed case comprising a bottle of Dusk, Midnight & Ice.
Visit www.blueaurorawine.co.uk to place your order. Last date for Christmas deliveries: 17th December.
Deliveries to the UK excluding Northern Ireland, free delivery on orders over £70 (or £8 delivery charge).